Sunday, September 26, 2010

Here we are. Two weeks away from the craziest thing I've ever done. Sober. I could not be here without thanking some awesome musicians. Running without music is nearly impossible for me. Today I am going to take some time to give credit to those artists who have basically pushed me to run harder, faster, farther, without even knowing it. Jay-Z, you are an amazing man whose quotes such as "Can I get a f*%$ you" as well as the entire first verse of "Big Pimpin" have helped me become who I am today. And to your lovely lady Beyonce, who reminds me daily that her "body's too bootylicious," girl you have inspired me to embrace being a big bootied woman.

There is Ludacris (they don't love me for who I am but who I'm destined to be), the ever popular Beastie Boys (well, I think I'm losing my mind this time, this time I'm losing my mind), and a crowd favorite Motley Crue (when we started this band, all we needed, needed was a laugh, years go by I'd say we've kicked some ass). I also want to give an honorary mention to Simple Plan, Poison, The Black Eyed Peas, and Good Charlotte.

Every so often I hear a song that really blows my mind. We all have those songs that make us stop for a moment and remember exactly what was going on in our lives when we heard that song. I have strong attachments to "Linger" by the Cranberries, "Lola" by The Kinks, and "The Sign" by Ace of Base. But none of them measure up to the song that has changed my training for this half marathon. Only this one song has pushed me from a quarter marathoner to a half marathoner.

When your name is Flo Rida, you best be putting up hot lyrics. And Flo Rida really out did his own greatness when he wrote the song "Club Can't Handle Me." With lyrics like, "Still feeling myself I'm like out of control, can't stop now more shots let's go", Flo Rida calls out to us moms in our 30's, reminding us of our glory days. Who can't think back to a college frat party when he shouts "Putch'yo hands up"? And when Flo (I think I can call him that) gets real with the line "Bring ya body here let me switch up your atmosphere", it just about melts my heart.

So when I'm out running and this song hits the top of the playlist, I completely forget what I'm doing and just zone out, which is exactly the point of the song:
You know I know how
To make 'em stop and stare as I zone out
The club can't even handle me right now
Watchin you watchin me I go all out
The club can't even handle me right now.

It reminds me of a time when I may have had just one (or seven) too many plastic cups of Busch Light and I found myself on the dance floor. (Yes, mom, I did this kind of stuff. Maybe you shouldn't be reading this.) It's at those moments where you really think you are amazing, unstoppable, even gorgeous. You think everyone is watching you and they think you are the best dancer even though they might actually be making fun of you. Come on, you know this has happened to you. But then, holy crap, suddenly you are a working 35 year old mom, and it becomes an amazing, unstoppable, gorgeous moment when you realize you are actually going to finish a half marathon!!

So Flo, thank you for this song. I think it was destined to be released the summer I was training for this half marathon. I think you secretly wrote it for 35 year old working moms who thought the club really could handle them at this point. I think you deserve to be told, in the immortal words of Vince Neil, I'd say you're still kickin ass!!!!

Two weeks and counting people, time to get crazy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment