Saturday, March 27, 2010

Mind Over Matter

Things that hurt require a lot of mental energy. My two prime examples. . . running and childbirth. Both of them hurt but both of them are manageable. But I don't think either one can be accomplished, drug free, without some serious mental stamina.

When I was pregnant with Sam, I read all the books on natural childbirth. I was determined to do it without an epidural. Not because I'm some naturalist,drug free, tree hugger or anything like that. But because I was scared to death of a giant needle in my back. Yes, ladies, that's how it's done. The first time I watched an epidural insertion in nursing school, I blacked out and had to eat a donut in the nurses station. That's why I'm a psych nurse. And yes, I HAD to eat it. They made me.

So with my strong fear of the needle in my back, I set my mind on natural childbirth. I spent hours visualizing the hospital room, how I would remain calm, how I would breathe through it and everything would be smooth. When you picture something enough in your mind, it's that much easier when the time comes. And while I admit childbirth hurts, I was ready, and it helped so much.

Today, I decided that is how I will approach this half marathon. Like childbirth. Starting today, I am going to spend time visualizing each mile, each step, and each breath. . . . pain free. I know it's going to be hard, but in the end it will be well worth it. And I'll get to sleep when it's over, NOT like childbirth.

I encourage you to try this. Next time you face a really tough physical challenge, picture yourself succeeding. Watch yourself, in your mind, jumping higher, running faster, pushing harder. You CAN make it happen. Our minds are amazing. . . and that's really why I'm a psych nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment