Saturday, March 6, 2010

An Uncertain Future

Running is hard. It's hard mentally and it's hard on your body. I keep questioning, why is it that something meant to make you so healthy can cause so many problems? It's been a hard week. Mentally, emotionally, physically. My hip is on fire. Not sure what caused it but my guess is that I increased distance too fast. Tried to over do it. And now I'm kind of stuck below square one, if there is such a spot to be.


Here is the problem with this scenario. I HATE doctors. Funny, huh, being in the medical profession. If I saw a patient with this pain, I would suggest they see someone in a fast hurry if they ever wanted to recover and start running again. But when it's myself, I will do nearly anything to avoid going to the doctor. I have no idea where I aquired this trait from. Hmmm. . . . maybe it has something to do with having a nurse-mother who forced my sister to keep ice skating even though she had fallen and was screaming in pain. In the same incident, we had to go to the grocery store before finally deciding something was probably wrong. Um, yeah, she fractured her arm. Oops. Then there was the 3 days I had to wait to go to the doctor while doubled over in pain with a burning fever. Oh, yeah, a perforated appendix. Hmmmm. . . .


So, I learned as a child that you have an immune system and endorphins for a reason. Your body is designed to heal itself and in most cases, it does just fine on its own. You will never see me at a doctor for a cold, cough, or fever. I rarely go in for the necessary female stuff. And I will have to drag myself in the door to get this looked at.

So I'm upset. Race season is just around the corner and I am losing my conditioning by the minute. My first 5K is next weekend and it looks like I'll be walking it. At least I'll be with some great gals. But, for the record, I will run this half marathon in October no matter what it takes. Even if it means getting the help of a medical professional. Maybe I'll just avoid the doctors. I like nurses better anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment