Saturday, February 27, 2010

Precious Moments

I've got to admit, I've had a tough week. Since Tuesday, I've been nursing a really sore hip. As some of you know, I am constantly battling shin splints but I've learned to live with that and just run on them. This is something different. This is that type of pain that lets you know you'd better not push it. It is bound to push back. So I've only been able to run five miles this week. And that does not make me happy.

In fact, if you ask my family, they'll let you know. I am not fun to be around when I haven't been able to get a good, hard work out. It's mostly about guilt. I sit around and stew about the calories I have eaten. I worry about losing the endurance I've built. I feel like a sloth. It's a very uncomfortable and difficult to describe feeling.

So imagine me this morning, waking up after a very limited week of working out. It wasn't pretty. I thought there might be blood shed, especially when I heard the iCarly theme song for the third time. So, I decided to put this hip to the test and go out for a brisk power walk. I was diligent and took my 600mg of Roundy's ibuprofen. As I'm all bundled up and getting more grouchy becuase I'm getting too hot in the house, Sam pipes in. "Mom, can I go with you?"

This has led to some pretty big disasters in the past. He'll make it half way and start whining to go home. He'll drag behind and want to stop constantly. The absolute worst is when you are walking and your kid HAS to go to the bathroom. We all know these moments can be urgent and its such a bad feeling to be far from home or any public bathroom when your kid makes this statement. So all of this is running through my already VERY grouchy head when I find my mouth stating, "Sure honey, bundle up."

Oh my God, what was I thinking? I know I need to get in a good walk to feel better. I know this won't work. This is going to suck so much. It's too late. So out comes the Mom Mantra. "Are you sure you will make it this far? I'm not walking slow and stopping everywhere. DID YOU GO POTTY?" After the questions were all answered correctly, we started out.

I immediatley discovered that with the winter's growth, Sam can actually walk quite a bit faster than he could last summer. So the pace is going along ok. We still have the distance and bathroom issues to consider. But as the walk went on, I began to notice that my shoulders weren't so tense. My hip wasn't really bothering me. And I didn't feel the sudden urge to smash something.

Walking with a seven year old is a pretty cool thing. I learned all about the first graders' interpretation of condensation, preciptitaion, and evaporation. I made footprints on the dry concrete after stepping in puddles. I played "balance beam" while walking on side walk cracks and was told it was ok if I fell off because it really wasn't a competition. Seven year olds notice squirrel nests in the highest trees and leaves that clung on to branches through the winter. ("That's odd, don't you think Mom?") They don't really care if their socks get wet. They joke about icicles forming in their butts.

So I didn't get the work out I planned for. I walked a bit slower, sweat a bit less, and didn't burn that many calories. But for once, I really don't care. The tension has disappeared, the agitation has lifted, and life will go on. I'm sure I'll be back on the 16 mile plan next week and all will fall into place. It's all thanks to the most precious seven year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment