Sunday, April 18, 2010

Here We Go. . . ..

It has come to my attention that this "running" blog hasn't been much about running lately. I've devoted two weeks to spring break (the mailbox votes are in). I've talked about my yoga challenges. And mostly I've talked about pain. I haven't mentioned that I've felt bloated, sluggish, and off track. I haven't been able to figure that out. Until it came to my attention that this "running" blog hasn't been much about running.

About 4 months ago, I was running 16 miles per week plus doing 2 Biggest Loser training videos. As the weather got nicer, I wanted to be outside but I really lost my edge. Yes, the dumb injury got in the way. But I may have stretched that out a bit. I'm still aiming for that half marathon in October and I will work hard to reach that goal. For now, I am standing at the bottom of a very large hill and need to figure out how to reach the top.

I'm getting a good start. I ran a total of 9 miles this week, three of them today during the Oshkosh 5K. The first 5K I ever ran was this same race last year. I got a better time last year but I had to walk a lot. This year, I finished at a slow and steady pace without walking so I'm pretty proud of that. I almost beat my husband, but his competitive spirit would not allow that!

There were some inspirational moments this year. A disabled kid on crutches crossed the finish line of the 5K. Many children finished the 5K with smiles plastered on their faces. The Half Marathon winner was at least 10 minutes ahead of his competition. And I almost always get tears in my eyes when I see the first female half marathon runner cross the finish line.

These are the people we need to watch and admire. We all have pieces of them inside of us. I got a glimpse of that person, finally, again today, crossing the finish line and seeing my son's bright eyes and his big smile. I'm taking my first step up that impossibly tall hill, but I can see the top and have been inspired to reach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment