Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Lakes at Sable Ridge

Wow, just got back from a little less than a week in Florida with my parents. For those of you who have watched every Seinfeld episode 14 times, like I have, you will enjoy the comparisons. Maybe your parents have moved to Florida and you've had similar experiences. Having parents move to Florida is hilarious and EXACTLY like Seinfeld. My parents' "Del Boca Vista" is called "The Lakes at Sable Ridge." It is a nice little gated community where the big controversy this week is the mailboxes. They are in DISREPAIR! They must be replaced. Ballots were hand delivered, a vote took place, but the people are unhappy.

When your parents move to Florida, it only takes them a few months to acclimate to the weather and they suddenly forget that they had once endured zero degree winter days. They see no need to turn on the air conditioning and prefer to keep the house at a nice 78 degrees. Much like a Seinfeld episode, you will sweat through several pairs of pajamas, while they will sleep the nights away under three blankets.

Perhaps my favorite Seinfeld moment occurred while I attempted to keep up with running. Running is really hard in Florida. I don't know if it's the heat or the fact that, while on vacation, pizza, donuts, and alfredo sauce seem to be unlimited. But sure enough, as I'm struggling to keep pace, here comes the "Mr. Mandelbaum" of The Lakes at Sable Ridge. This man, no younger than 82 and weighing in at about the same, comes running right at me. He's not breathing heavy, he's barely sweating as he casually passes my 34 year old fat, panting, sweating ass. My Dad says that "Mr. Mandelbaum" can run faster than he can bike. There have been days when "Mr. Mandelbaum" bikes the one mile loop in the neighborhood upwards of 40 times.

But I will not let Mr. 82-year-old Marathon man let me down. Next week is my first widely anticipated 5K of the season. I'm feeling good and have things to look forward to. This is the race where it all began last year. I'm not kidding myself. I may not beat last year's time after fighting the injury bug for so long this winter. But I will miss my mom. She was here to run it with me last year. She actually took 3rd place for her age group! It will be sad to do it without her this year. Maybe she can run it in a heavy sweatsuit with Mr. Mandelbaum after they vote for their favorite mailbox choice!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brooke, I loved your post about Florida and Seinfeld. Is your run the 17th or 24th

    ReplyDelete