Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Triathlon?. . . .Who's with me?

So today I did something a little bit outside the box. Sam and I volunteered to work the finish line at the RMC triathlon at the Green Lake Conference Center. What a beautfil setting! These are real athletes, they are serious. The "short" course is a 1/4 mile swim, 16 mile bike ride, and 5k run. THE SHORT COURSE PEOPLE!! I had the honor and pleasure of greeting these people at the finish line, giving them water, and taking the timing chip off their ankles. My kid was a trooper and helped until the last athlete crossed the finish line. There were many inspiring moments today.

My friend Lisa took 3rd place in her age group. She is a rock star with arms I would KILL for. Sam's baseball coach and our good friend, Mitch, crossed the finish line looking like he could run another 3 miles. Sam was so excited to hand him his water. (I swear Sam wishes he was in the Beuthin family sometimes.) I saw several couples cross the finish line hand in hand but the most memorable was the wife who burst into tears, making me do the same. I also loved the wife who sprinted past her husband at the finish. The winner of the long course had cut his foot on some rocks in the water and finished the entire race, to take first, with a shoe soaked in blood. SOAKED IN BLOOD!!!! And the last girl who crossed the finish line at 4 hours and one minute had a smile on her face and her head held high. She did it.

It was an awesome race to watch and be a part of. I've got a long way to go and someday I would love to try it. I'm not sure I can do it myself. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment