Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Final Performance

Wow, I am without words. Or I don't know where to begin. Today was one of the top ten days of my life. At the risk of offending anyone, I will not share the other nine. It's hard to describe what I've been through in the last 12 hours. Wild emotion, exhilerating pain, and a ravenous appetite. I'll give you the highlights.

It rained, hard sometimes. Luckily it wasn't freezing. But I was drenched before I started. And I had consumed a large Gatorade. And the line for the porta potty was 146 people long. So that's how things started. But things quickly improved. Early in the race, I saw a restaurant that we had been conveniently joking about all weekend, "Hung Far Low", a chop suey restaurant. I nearly started crying early in the race with thoughts of "I can't believe I am doing this!" But there wasn't time for that. Miles 2-4 were uphill.

It wasn't as bad as I expected. I was easily distracted by the excitement of it all and the people watching. Some women just don't understand the importance of proper undergarments while running. After the hill, we were graciously rewarded with a nice downhill. Then I saw Becki in the crowd and I shouted, "I SAW HUNG FAR LOW!!" 1/3 of the race was done.

The second third of the race was by far my best. I ran strong and felt great. It was easier than it should have been. I just enjoyed my music and the experience, as cliche as that sounds. As I headed back, I saw Erin, still running hard, and it was great for my own spirit. She looked great. But the last few miles were tough. I got delerious, but in a good way. Even though I've done a lot of races, I suddenly forgot that the mile markers indicated the mile I had just finished, not the one I was starting! Oh my, I only have four miles to go, not 5! That was a great moment for me. I think it saved me actually.

The next funny thing happened near the finish line. It had hit me that I was finishing without walking. I was pumped (you know I know how, to make you stop and stare as I zone out. . . ). I saw the 13 mile marker ahead so I took off. I had saved enough energy for a finish line sprint. Only guess what, after the 13 mile marker, you still have to run 0.1 miles and my finish line sprint couldn't quite sustain it. So I had to slow down a little bit and laughed my ass off to myself that I had done that. It made my finish a bit anticlimactic but awesome nonetheless.

I wandered my way through the finish area. Regrettably now, I didn't take advantage of the great food or the photo op. It was like I didn't get what was going on plus I was, by that time, freezing, soaked, and completely overwhelmed. It took a good 1/2 hour for me to remember my own name.

I lied above. This day wasn't in my top 10. It was in my top 5. I loved it. I felt great the whole time, even when it got hard. For all the doubts I'd had, my training has paid off. I did the absolute BEST I could. My goal has been met. For the record, Erin did amazing and I could have never done this with her support and motivation the past 10 months.

I hurt right now. My heels and knees are experiencing something foreign. It's all in a good way. And it was all worth it. Don't even ask, I can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment