Saturday, May 15, 2010

"Ad" it up

I am a sucker for commercials. If a product has a good commercial, I will try it or buy it. Marketing agencies and the people who hire them love people like me. Companies like Nike, Gap, Target, and Menards have been getting my business for years. Who doesn't know and love the Menards jingle? Come on, it's genius! Have you heard the new radio spots for Michigan Travel? A soothing voice paints a picture of gorgeous scenery and nostaglic summer nights, camping under brilliant stars. I am packing tomorrow. Upper Michigan, here I come!!!!

On the flip side, if I don't like your commercial, you better watch out. Recently a health care corporation in Green Bay was promoting their Birthing Center, using a man as a spokesperson. I didn't get it at all. What does a man know about a place to give birth? How does he know what a woman needs to feel comfortable while she pushes another human through her birth canal? He wasn't a doctor or anything. . . . . just a man. . . . promoting a birthing center. I see he is now starring in their cardiac care commercials. If I ever see him in the birthing center again, his next stop might be the trauma unit.

So what does this have to do with my running blog? A lot. As I've mentioned, many times, I love Gatorade. I have a blueberry-pomegranite G2 in the fridge right now as my reward for running later today. YAY! The new Gatorade ads are very exciting. If you haven't seen them or missed my blog last week, they are promoting a new three step fueling system for athletes. As a loyal Gatorade drinker and commercial watcher, I found it important for me to run out and try this system immediately.

Step one, check out the packaging. It's cool. Typical Gatorade stuff, the lightening bolt, etc. Very good. Next step, read the label. Uh-oh. Here's where it started to fall apart for me. The gel is basically sugar and vitamin B. I didn't try it or buy it because it costs a lot and has a whole bunch of calories. Part 2 is the Gatorade I know and love. Any flavor, original or G2, they now call it "Performance", meant to rehydrate during activity. The final product, part 3, is "Recovery". It is a thicker, syrupy Gatorade with added protien. Sam wanted to try it, so I did buy one bottle of lemon lime. I'm very sorry Gatorade, but it was gross. It tastes like medicine. I could barely choke down one sip. It also has a lot of calories. When I added it all up, the total amount of calorie intake from the whole 3 part system was more calories than I would burn in my average 3 mile run.

So, despite a great advertising campaign, I cannot endorse this new Gatorade system. If you run a half or a full marathon, or you are a HARD CORE athlete, this might be a good system for you. Well, if you can choke down the Recovery drink. Myself, I'm sticking with a banana, G2, and a small glass of skim chocolate milk. Have you SEEN those chocolate milk commercials????

No comments:

Post a Comment