Sunday, May 30, 2010

One Good Deed

So I've started a new practice along with this training mission. Each week, I am writing a list of goals and putting it up on the fridge. It usually includes the total number of miles I plan to run in that week, other workouts that I want to fit in, and at the bottom of the list each week it says, "ONE GOOD DEED." I want to remember that while I'm so focused on this running, training, and the rest of my busy life, it is sometimes good to think about people other than myself. In my line of work, we are always encouraging people to put themselves first. I can't tell you the number of times I have said to my patients, "You can't be a good parent [friend, employee, etc.] if you don't take care of yourself and make your mental and physical wellness your top priority." I strongly believe that.

But, I also believe that mental wellness sometimes comes from giving a part of yourself to others in an effort to help them achieve wellness of their own. Let's face it, giving, donating, volunteering. . . .they all have a two fold effect. You make the other person happy and someone benefits from your generosity. But you can also learn so much about yourself by feeling appreciated and seeing that you do have something to offer to other people.

Good deeds don't have to be a big deal. There was one week that I brought a giant bag of popcorn to work to share with my co-workers. (The Dairy Queen in Neenah has the BEST popcorn.) People enjoyed it and we were all happy. If any co-workers missed it and you are reading now, sorry for your loss. The popcorn was awesome.

Other times, good deeds can be a very big deal. This week, I took a day off work to volunteer for Healthy Hobby Day at Princeton Elementary school. Although I am only a yoga novice, I was invited after doing some yoga with the cub scouts one night. This day in Princeton included six half-hour sessions of yoga with kids in grades K-5.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The kids were amazing, for the most part. They soaked it in, took it seriously, and tried everything at least once. Even the boys, who were a bit skeptical to say the least, really enjoyed themselves. It helped that Sam came with me and demonstrated all of the poses. They even enjoyed the crazy African music that I brought for the background.

There were a few trying moments. One fifth grade girl told me that she already had six pack abs and asked me if I ever did. (None of your business.) One sweet little girl shared that her family oven has been broken for a long time so they have to bake cookies in the pizza oven. (Apparently it works, by the way.) And of course, there were the show off kids who wanted me to watch them exclusively as they did each pose perfectly.

But when we were done, I got lots of hugs. I had parents who worked at the school coming to tell me that their kids can't wait to try more yoga at home. The school staff treated me like a queen. And that's when it hit me. . .I don't know who benefitted from this day more, me or the kids. I was there for the kids, but when I left, I felt like I had been given just as much. And that's what this "ONE GOOD DEED" thing is all about. It is inspiring and their are no losers.

Happy Holiday Weekend. Get out there and enjoy this glorious weather as it, too, has been a wonderful gift!!

No comments:

Post a Comment