Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Friendly Competition

Welcome to Saturday! First a couple of updates on previous blog entries.

Have you seen the new Gatorade commercials? They now have a 3 step system. Gel for preworkout, hydration for during the workout, and a protien infused "recovery" drink for post work out. The packaging is cool, the marketing is great. I can't wait to run out and buy the whole damn system. Updates to follow.

Regarding the mailboxes in my parents' subdivision. The Lakes at Sable Ridge is no longer the safe, gated community it was created to be. They voted on the mailboxes and paid a tremendous amount for the winning box. But the mailboxes have not yet been delivered or installed. One neighbor threatened another and actually told him he better keep an eye on his dog. Now threatening the neighbor, I understand. But the dog? What on earth is going on down there?

Now let me tell you a story about a competitive husband. My husband was a track runner in high school. He tells me that he hated it, unless he won. And he made it his mission to win every race he ran so that he could enjoy the season. It is this kind of competitive spirit that allows a man who NEVER works out to just decide to run a 5K on a Saturday morning.

So a few weeks ago, he ran the Oshkosh 5K with me. We started out together, stride for stride. I told him that if he didn't want to go my pace, he was welcome to run ahead but he stayed with me. I thought it was nice. About half way through the race, he started huffing and puffing, wheezing, spitting, and sighing loudly. I was a little concerned but secretly excited. He was fading fast and I thought I might have a chance to beat him. I mean, after all, I work out all the time. I should be in better shape. I should be able to beat him.

But something in that competetive brain of his could not allow it. As we started the 3rd mile, he pulled ahead. Almost a sprint. What the hell? I kept my eye on him and sure enough, after about a quarter mile, he started to walk. This was my chance. I gained on him but he couldn't stand the thought of losing. He sprinted ahead and beat me by 20 seconds. OK, fine. I can handle it. I'll have another chance.

Today was that chance. The Sole Burner in Appleton. A 5K on a beautiful course to raise money for the American Cancer Society. A similar start, running together at a comfortable pace. At mile two, the asthma attack kicks in and my husband stops running. I looked back and he gave me the signal to go ahead. Ok, babe, you don't have to tell me twice. I kept going, a loud cheer in my head. I picked up my pace a bit, excited by the possibilities. But guess what? As we start the 3rd mile, he shows up next to me. He must have sprinted. "You Jack Ass" I yelled as people around us chuckled.

But his second wind didn't last long. The next thing I knew, I was again running alone. It was the last half mile and the end of the race is the "Hill of Hope", a painfully steep hill. I kept my pace, I didn't stop. I reached the top of the hill and could see the finish line a quarter mile away. Oh my gosh this is really happening. I started to pick up my pace, little by little as I reached the finish line. I can't believe it. I am beating my competitive husband, the former track star. I have worked hard enough to finally make this happen. I am neck and neck with a few other people and ran just fast enough to cross the finish line ahead of them. And just as I was about to cross, my wheezing former track star husband whizzed by me, beating me by about 5 seconds.

Well there are two ways to look at this. My first response was, what a jerk! Let me win, just once. This sucks and it's not fair. I work so hard. But the truth is, he won fair and square. He pulled out more in the final seconds and when I beat him, I don't want it to be because he let me win. I'm not even that disappointed because I ran my best, didn't stop, and was happy with my overall result. I had a blast running with my husband and coming so close to beating him. It was the most fun I've had running a 5K.

I don't know when I'm going to get him out there again but I have renewed hope. There will come a day that I will beat him at a 5K and the whole world will know about it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment